Covid restrictions have eased and travelling to France is possible again! Yay!

First things first, you’re inviting your mom/sister/bff/former dog sitter over from U.K. to spend a few days in Paris and enjoy a Kyr Royal with a view of Notre Dame.

So it’s quiz time… cue the “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” music:

  1. A copy of their family tree on parchment paper from 1821 onwards;
  2. A certificate issued by the Maire, based on a bazillion documents, stating that they’re officially your guests (called an Attestation d’Accueil) ;
  3. A portable alcohol-test for after the Kyr, since foreigners now can be tested on random basis even if they’re walking.

The correct answer is… drumroll… 2! Also there is no 500€s.

Any non-European citizen travelling to France for less than 90 days and staying in private accommodations should have an Attestation d’Accueilstating:

  • The host can provide a suitable accommodation (in particular regarding the surface and the sanitary requirements);
  • The traveller is insured for medical expenses up to €30.000 (the contract can be purchased by the host or by the traveller);
  • The dates of the stay and the relationship between host and traveller (family or friend);
  • The host has sufficient income to support the traveller during their stay in case he can’t do it himself. The usual amount of support is capped at €32,50 per day, and the proof can be the last tax declaration or payslips).

Attestation d’accueil for British/non-EU guests – is it really necessary?

Attestation d'accueil for British / non-EU guests - is it really necessary?

How do I (the host) get this Attestation d’accueil for British?

Head on over to your local Maire (Town Hall) and fill out the form… also making sure to have all the supporting documents… simple, right?

You can check out this link (in French) for the full procedure, making sure to select your specific case based on your nationality.

Are there exceptions?

Yes: you don’t have to show this certificate if you:

  • Are a European, Swiss, Monaco, Andorra passport holder;
  • Have a Schengen visa or a visa type D or VLS-TS (you are planning and are entitled to get a carte de séjour upon your arrival in France);
  • Are travelling for a funeral, medical emergency, cultural exchange or humanitarian reasons;
  • Are staying in a hotel, Airbnb or similar (we of course are not suggesting to book a fully refundable stay in Paris only to save you the hassle. That would be cheating , immoral and absolutely legitimate.).

This certificate has been obligatory since 2004 under French law, and since 1990 under European law. In addition, some of the required formalities are not that unreasonable (it’s a good idea to get travel insurance anyway).

So, what’s the big deal? And why is the topic so hot right now?

First, on 1st May there was a massive reform of the French Immigration Code, which now reinforces this provision.

Second, Brexit. Everything is still a bit up-in-the-air, and border agents at St. Pancras or Gare du Nord can be a tad overzealous. Controls are random and you don’t want to try your luck (better trying with our quiz).

So why don’t you let us take care of this new exciting paperwork for you?


How long does it take to get an attestation d’acceuil?

It usually takes less than a month, but never underestimate the French bureaucracy! It could take longer.

What if my application is denied?

You need to appeal to the prefecture within 2 months of the denial.

How much does it cost to get an attestation d’acceuil?

The attestation itself is free, but you will need to buy a ‘timbre fiscal’ worth €30.

Your Friend in Paris always has your back!

In case you think about relocating from Paris check 5 tips before you leave France